Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Vocabulary #3

 accomplice-a person who helps another commit a crime
Ex. He was my accomplice in the bank robbery.
 annihilate- destroy completely
Ex. The wrecking ball was meant to annihilate my house before we built a new one.
 arbitrary- based on random choice
Ex. My selection for senior pictures was arbitrary.
 brazen- bold/ without shame
Ex. With a brazen disregard for the rules, the man continued talking loudly on his cell phone in the library.
 catalyst- something that increases rate of a process 
Ex. Her death was a catalyst to the solution of the problem of drinking and driving.
 exodus- mass departure of people
Ex. My ancestors went on an exodus to the new world.
 facilitate- to make easy
Ex. My teacher was able to facilitate the word problem I did not understand.
 incorrigible- not able to be connected
Ex. Our relationship was incorrigible after the breakup.
 latent- concealed
Ex. My talent for singing is latent.
 militant- combative/ aggressive in support of a political or social issue.
Ex. The senator was militant in his disapproval of same-sex marriage.
 morose- sullen/ ill-tempered
Ex. Her attitude towards school work was very morose.
 opaque- not transparent
Ex. The window in our living room is opaque, and therefore useless.
 paramount- more important that anything else, supreme
Ex. Her paramount actions proved how spoiled she must have been as a child.
 prattle- talk at length in a foolish way
Ex. My mother and I prattled for an hour last night.
 rebut- claim that something is false
Ex. He had to rebut charges of rape in order to save his politcal career.
 reprimand- express sharp disapproval
Ex. He was reprimanded for his use of swear words in the work place.
 servitude- state of being subject to someone more powerful
Ex. I took a sentence of servitude over that of jail time.
 slapdash- done hurriedly of carelessly
Ex. Her project was definitely slapdash.
 stagnant- having no current or flow
Ex. The pond is always stagnant at this time of the year.
 succumb- fail to resist
Ex. I succumbed to the pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment