Thursday, October 31, 2013

Filter Bubbles

Link to the Ted talk this post is about and also classmate's responses to the same questions. 

We are being tailored to what an algorithmic computer program thinks we want to see. I wouldn't say that this concept is new to me but the TED talk was certainly the first time I have seen any in depth explanation of it. I am not one to fret about something like this, but I do understand why the speaker is hesitant to trust these programs. Why am I to be mad that my computer is showing me something I want to see? This is my perspective on the whole thing but I understand the points addressed in the video. I am not sure what the speaker wants, maybe a switch that can toggle this program on/off of your computer search? I guess this raises the question of how far will the internet go. We already know what the federal government has access to and nobody seems to be doing much to stop it. Technology is ever growing and I think we as humans will have to make fundamental changes to what we believe is right in order to allow this growth. The internet is a place where everyone should feel comfortable, but many do not. I believe my searches are effective enough and I don't see any reason to change my habits. I have never spent more than a minute looking for what I want on a Google search. You know what they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

No comments:

Post a Comment